About Me

My photo
21 year, single African American aspiring to become a Audiologist. I attend Saint Louis University where I am majoring in Communications Sciences and Disorders and minoring in Philosophy and Theology! I volunteer with young adolescent males, who has strayed one way or another from the traditional education path. This is thier outlet to todays Young Adult Literature....

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Wilderness Thoughts

While browsing through the recommended list of Y.A. books to read, I was overwhelmed with a plethora of unfamiliar text. Many of which I had heard, but unfortunately never had to opportunity to read. I then made a list of my top five and was in search for them at SLU’s library. Feeling disappointed, as a result of my finding, the only book that was from my list was Hatchet by Gary Paulsen. I unenthusiastically and hesitantly began reading the book, and after nearly two hours I had completed the book. I really forgot how to read for enjoyment and not for a task. This book was very interesting. Simply summarized a young teen is traveling on a small two person plane in route to visit his father who very recently just concluded their divorce from his mother. After trouble in the air, he is alone with nothing but his sanity lingering to help sustain him in the wilderness for over forty days. Many issues’ which arose resonates in my mind after reading the story. Could I survive that long? Mentally, would I give up? This story caused me to relive similar situations of my parents getting a divorce during my adolescent years. Which similarly, I had to go through the wilderness to find myself and gain maturity to handle the new responsibilities that laid before me now! I too had to transform myself into survival mode to continue to preserve myself during a rough period. In addition, I too had to stop making excuses for myself and move forward with the new challenges and rise to the occasion. I can clearly see how this book is considered Y.A., because many of the issues addressed, both boldly as well as in-directly, parallel situations that teens are forthcoming. Overall this was a enjoyable read and refreshing all while introducing positive approach to handling life’s present and future issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment